Monday, February 15, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Give yourself a hot oil treatment to heat things up!

Upon my move to Chicago I knew one of many things. 1. I knew it would be extremely cold. 2. I knew it would snow all the time. 3. I knew I would need to upgrade my winter wardrobe to include thermals, several scarfs and winter hats. But...what I didn't know; however , was the dramatic toll this harsh winter weather would take on my hair.

Now from my knowledge, so far, this winter has been a tough one around the country, not just here in Chicago. If you are one who can't make it to the hair salon every week, because I know I can't, there are several easy ways to keep your Crown & Glory fabulous during these frigid temperatures. Heat things up with an hot oil treatment!

Giving myself a hot oil treatment is one of my favorite hair remedies to pamper myself with. Not surprisingly, very cold temperatures will make the scalp extremely dry so a hot oil treatment is a great way help add moisture keep away the unwanted snowflakes on your shoulder called dandruff. In addition, this treatment is a great way to add oil to the hair without weighing it down...one of my favorite things as well!
So you've never given yourself a hot oil treatment before? No problem! It is very simple. Depending on the type of hot oil treatment you purchase there are two ways to prep the treatment. I've used both ways and the results are the same.

1. Immerse packaged item into hot water to heat the oil
2. Gently heat the oil in the microwave in a small mixing bowl

After your regular shampoo and conditioning, simply part large sections of the hair, apply a moderate amount to the scalp and gently massage throughout your entire head. I like to part my hair in 4 large sections by making a long vertical part from my forehead to back of my head and then a horizontal part from ear to ear. Afterwards I part those 4 sections in half and massage more oil into the scalp.

Secondly, you want to make sure the product penetrates. A great way to concentrate the product into the scalp is to sit under a hooded dryer with a plastic cap for 15 minutes. Personally I don't own a hooded dryer so I just use a hand blow dryer to apply to heat to my plastic cap and it works just fine. No time to sit under the dryer? You can also keep the oil your hair for about 30 minutes without heat under a plastic cap. I like to use this time to do chores around the house, cook or whatever.

After the product is set into the scalp, it is important NOT to re-wash the hair or you will undo all the hard work you've just accomplished! Instead rinse the hot oil out with warm water, blow dry and style as usual. Personally, I don't always feel that just rinsing the oil out with water does the full trick so I also like to add more conditioner to my hair after I rinse the oil out....but that's just my preference.

So if this winter is kicking you and your hair's butt..try giving your self a hot oil treatment and see if there is a major difference. Hey, it works for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment