Saturday, June 19, 2010

I need to workout but...

So about a month ago I started this crazy workout plan called Insanity...maybe you've seen the infomercials maybe you haven't. Nevertheless, it is a 60 day DVD workout regime that I started because I am determined to loose a couple pounds before my birthday. Before I started the workout I was really excited! I was so happy! I was excited to get back into working out and I was excited to see results! I use past tense because although I'm happy about the results I've accomplished thus far (5 to 6 pound and at least 2 inches from my waist), this so-called love affair I have with working out is taking a toll on my hair.

2 weeks ago I left the salon, hair swinging and flowing during a gorgeous Saturday DC afternoon. As a woman with natural hair, it's something about a fresh blow out that doesn't compare to relaxed hair (no offense to my relaxed beauties but I digress), however; my hair was looking fabulous! I can count at least 5 women that stopped me that day to compliment or ask where I had gotten my hair "done". But the dark clouds quickly came to rain on my parade when I went home that evening to workout.  Before Insanity, I never really used to sweat while working out, very strange but true. About 20 minutes into my workout perspiration started to build against my neck and those lovely natural curls aka "roots" were no longer beautifully pressed near my neck. With a recent short cut in the back this is not a good look.

Now not to be worried because of course I can break out the FHI and press my roots again. But not only is this irritating, it is also very unhealthy for my hair if I have to put heat on it everyday. I once read in Essence that most African American women forgo working out because of the hassle we have with our hair. In addition, my self and some of my friends have confessed to working out harder the day before a trip to the salon. Personally, I know 2 friends who recently did the "big chop" and one reason was because they were avid runners and was tired of sweating out their hair. Of course there were other reasons as well. And surprisingly, these two women had relaxed hair....so it's a loose-loose situation! In the battle of Natural vs. Relaxed no one wins.

I need to workout but...after spending $65 on my hair every two weeks I need for it to last at least 4 days! When I leave the salon on Saturday, I want to know I can make it to Thursday without needing to press it everyday. However; as much as I love my Crown & Glory I know I will not compromise my health or fitness for my hair. Instead I've found several ways to keep my hair intact, which includes pin curls, scarves, and sometimes a combination of both.

If you are one of those women scared and hesitant to go hard on your workout because of your hair then just get over it sista! We all know there is enough we have to deal with as far as common health threats against African American women so let's be proactive and take our health into our own hands...even if you have to go to the gym in the satin silk scarf you wear to bed. When it comes to your health, "cute" must go out the window! In the words in my Insanity workout dvds..."Dig DEEPER!"

Ever see an infomercial and you think to yourself...."This isn't true!" Well think again because this workout is real!. Watch this clip of my Insanity workout regime and it just very well may inspire you!

No comments:

Post a Comment