Saturday, February 13, 2010

Side Part Under...No more!


I'm not sure how many other The Game fanatics are out there but if you are, clearly you might know what this blog post is about. In season 3 of the very much missed show The Game, abruptly cancelled by the CW network, Melanie is discussing her turbulent love life with a patient of hers. The patient, an elder woman, mentions how Melanie is a "Side Part Under", which is a very simple hairstyle parted on the side and neatly tucked behind the ears. It doesn't stand out and overall no one will ever challenge this hairstyle because it is safe. Now although this is a analogy to Melanie's current dramatic love life, I started to think...in a certain way this pretty much sums up my hair history.

For as long as I can remember, I've been wearing the same hairstyle since I bought my first Golden Hot flat iron in the 8th grade. (Yes I said Golden Hot...lol) One would think because I am such a hair guru, trying the latest products and what not, I would certainly have a different hairstyle every other month. But no, I am stuck on my nice wrap with my right-sided part usually to my shoulder in length. On occasions I wear it curly during the summer since I've started to grow out my relaxer. However; the most dramatic thing I've done is color my hair a shade of red, a lighter shade of brown, and get a sew-in for about 4 months. Overall very safe.

Now currently, a lot of why I do not change my hair often is due to Corporate America. Personally I prefer not to come to work one day with my nice shoulder-length bob and the next day looking like Beyonce with 18 inches of blonde extensions. But as I continue to grow and find myself in the journey we call life, I've decided I'm tired of being safe! No more "Side Part Under"! I'm now on a mission to find a cute new hairstyle that is very different and outside my comfort zone; however still acceptable for the workplace. I mean a girl's still gotta make money.

So until I find my new "do", I'll just admire the ladies who have no problem going out of their comfort zone while being fabulous doing so. And who else could I admire but number one hair diva.....Rhianna!

Although sometimes her hair styles are crazy (well at least to me), we all must admit Rhianna has paved the way for hair trends since 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment