Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Good friends, AND Stylists, are hard to come by


A few days ago I had a going away dinner in Chicago with my friends. We went to a great Mexican restaurant ate very well, had a couple of drinks and a few tears for dessert.  Afterwards I left feeling very blessed and loved so I started thinking about friendships. I looked up the word friend in the dictionary and here is what I found:

1.   1. Friend: a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations.

2.     2.  Friend: a person who acts as a supporter of a cause, organization, or country by giving financial help or other help.


After reading the 2 definitions above I can honestly apply those definitions to all my girls. Good friends are hard to come by. Period.  Not everyone has your best interest at heart and it takes a long time to figure that out in some cases. Therefore; I believe it’s very rare for a group of 10 girls to genuinely like each other and not have drama between the bunch.   

After further assessment of this topic I started to think…good stylists, like friends, are hard to come by too! In my opinion a stylist should not only be your professional consult but your friend as well.  The same care and love I receive from my friends, I need to receive from my stylist when she’s handling my Crown & Glory.

Have I lost you yet? Ok, I’ll break it down…

Per definition #1, a friend is a person with whom one has a bond or mutual affection.  I need to have a bond with my stylist as well. If a stylist or friend rubs me he wrong way or I’m not feeling their energy then the relationship is not going to work.  If I think you are genuinely a nice person, and I see your positive interactions with others, then we can make something happen. There’s nothing worse than a negative stylist with a snappy attitude just waiting to take their anger and frustration out your hair. Thanks but no thanks, I’ll pass!

Per definition #2, a friend is a person who acts as supporter.  Whether it is from a friend, boyfriend, parent, sister or stylist who doesn’t need support?  If I decide to chop my hair off or grow my relaxer out, I need for my stylist to support my decision. Support just doesn’t mean you agree with me. You are there for me throughout the process ensuring my hair stays healthy and giving me tips along the way.  Some stylists will do whatever to get your dollar. Afterwards, you leave the salon feeling cheated. A friend and supportive stylist will consult you along the way of your different hairstyles, telling you what works and what doesn’t work.  A supportive stylist will console you when you make the “big chop” and decide to go natural.  And afterwards not only do you feel great about the choices you’ve made but, the stylist feels great too because she knows she’s helped you! Friends, just like stylists, make you feel good about yourself, even when you are self-conscious.

At the end of my going away dinner, each friend went around the table to say what they would miss about me and I recipricated when it was my turn. There's no doubt that I will miss all my great friends in Chicago, but I will also miss another friend that wasn’t at the going away dinner - my stylist, Nikkole Willis owner of Bhava Hair Studio.

  My love for Chicago will forever run deep....


1 comment:

  1. I've been doing my own hair since I left my beautician in San Diego... She wasn't even in San Diego I used to drive over an hour to her shop! So I haven't let anyone else do my hair since like September because of this very reason! And when your hair is natural you're even more skeptical of who does your hair IMO

    ReplyDelete