Sunday, April 11, 2010

Miss Jessie's Products Now Available at Target!!!




How many times have you walked into your local Target, Walmart or CVS and noticed the small "African American" hair section at the end of the hair care aisle? After rows and rows of Pantene Pro-V, Garnier Fructis and Herbal Essence there is a small section of Luster's, Organic Root Stimulator, and B&B products. Don't get me wrong, I love all products despite manufacturer but I became well aware of this fact a long time ago around the age of 13. So when my friend told me Miss Jessie's products were now being sold at Target I couldn't believe it, I was shocked! Could it be...finally, more hair care products made by us and sold by us in a national retailing corporation...yes it is!

Miss Jessie's hair care products hit Target stores March 28th, 2010 and when I went yesterday, April 10th, with a friend to pick up some items all but two products were sold out! To make it even better, Miss Jessie's products owned a clearly visible display of 3 rows at the beginning of the hair care aisle - the front facing rows all customers can see as they walk through the store.

If you aren't familiar with Miss Jessie's products, the brand is famous for creating styling products for natural hair and naturally curly hair, most of which my friends use faithfully. I have yet to use her products but I hear Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and Curly Meringue work best, but of course this depends on hair texture. My advice is to try out different types to see what works best for you.

Founded by two sisters Miko and Titi in Brooklyn, the women named Miss Jessie's products after their grandmother. Not only are they the founders of these products, they also own the Miss Jessie's Salon, which provides expertise in natural hair and naturally curly hair. (I must make a trip to NY just for this reason!)

So the biggest question is, why are there so many limited African American hair care products in national retailing corporations? The fact that Miss Jessie's was sold out in Target is a clear indicator there is a demand for these products. For as long as I can remember, my outlet was the local beauty supply store in my neighborhood, which are also owned and dominated by the Asian culture. There have been several times I needed advice about something in the store, however; the owner had no idea of what products could possibly work best with my hair. Instead they were more interested in selling me the most expensive product. But what I can I expect they ARE running a business. Right?

No! I won't settle for that. Business or no business, if I'm spending my hard earned money shouldn't I deserve a decent hair consultation for my Crown & Glory? I guess until then I'll continue to rely on my trail and error test to find what products work best for me.

Or maybe I should take matters into my own hands? Create a place that specializes in selling hair care products for African American women, while providing hair consultations and become an outlet for the under represented black hair care producers who can't afford to make it to national retailers like Target. Hmm...sounds like a lot...but anything is possible.


Find a Target near you for Miss Jessie's products and let me know what you think! (Personal review to follow) http://www.missjessies.com/09_storelocator/storelocator.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment